Should I drink?

Did you know?
Around one in ten 12 to 17-year-olds reported binge drinking in the week before a 2008 survey

Worried about your drinking?

If you think you might have a problem with alcohol, it's better to get help early.

Problem drinking

You might have a problem if:

  • your drinking means that you're neglecting work, school work or other things you should do
  • you're getting in trouble at work or home about your drinking
  • you often feel hung over in the mornings
  • you've started thinking about alcohol during the day
  • you feel edgy when you're not drinking
  • you've noticed you have to drink more to get the same effect
  • you often find you're drinking more than you meant to.

Where to get help

If these things apply to you, you could talk to:

  • a good friend to see how they're feeling about their own drinking - and whether they've noticed anything about your drinking
  • the welfare officer or student counsellor at school for advice or referrals
  • a specialist drug and alcohol service about what you can do (see the list of links to the right of this page)
  • a counsellor about your concerns.